So, since I have been working out again, I am finding it much harder to eat things that are not good for me. As much as I want that chocolate cake, my body’s soreness works out as a great reminder that I am trying to take off and keep off the fat from my body.
In order to keep me in line, I have been cooking more to monitor all the food I’ve been eating. Last night after my husband left for his Jiu Jitsu class (yes, he’s gotten himself motivated to try new things too) I started preparing our dinner. Since he was going to be coming back from an hour and half session, I wanted to make sure he had a protein filled meal ready for his return so I decided to make a Black Bean Chili which came our pretty damn good.
- 1 ½ lb of ground beef, lean
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- Salt & pepper
- Brown ground beef in a wok or pot
- Once browned, add onions and stir until softened.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer for another 40 minutes.
(This was my leftovers for lunch the next day)
The total time to cook this took about an hour, which wasn’t so bad. I figured since I had some time, I’d make a little snack for the side so I decided to work on some Zucchini Balls.
- 2 large zucchinis, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small onion, minced
- ¼ cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- After you’ve grated the zucchini, wring it out to get rid of the excess water.
- In the bowl, add all other ingredients and mix.
- Grab the mixture and roll it into small balls and place them on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes.
By the time he came home all the food was ready and turned out to be quite a success. I added some guacamole to the chili as well which just added to the flavor. I meant to take a picture of the zucchini balls but they were almost all gone by the time he was done eating (the recipe did make about 20.)
Here’s hoping that my clean eating and exercise will show a little improvement tomorrow!